Monday, April 9, 2007

TheBon, in Brief.

What are your Favorite Colors?
Blues, greens, purples, chocolate brown [especially with turquoise, orange, lime or fuschia] black, reds, pinks. I don't look good in oranges and yellows, but that does not mean I dislike them. They're just better for mittens and other things that will go nowhere near my face. I think my biggest hatred is for pastels. For a good idea of my color preferences, visit my Flickr account, especially the She's Craft Collection and Wedding Planning Set.

Do you prefer Solid or Multi Colored Yarns?
For small projects--multi-colored. I love self striping yarns but I hate, hate, hate self-patterning ones, like these.

What fibers do you prefer? Any Allergies?
I prefer next-to-skin soft fibers like merino and BFL and alpaca and llama. I love the shine of tencel. I'm generally okay with anything that isn't as harsh as a Jacob sheep's fleece. I don't care to knit with cottons in general. I do not like to knit with acrylics, unless I absolutely have to. I don't have any allergies, although I am very very sensitive to cigarette smoke and it makes me feel like crud to be around smoke-smelling things. Plymouth Alpaca makes my hands itch and sting [it's a processing thing] as does Paton's SWS.

What do you enjoy knitting the most? (socks, mittens, sweaters, etc.)
I really enjoy knitting toys, mittens, and lace. I also like to knit socks, although I haven't yet adapted to Eugene's much more temperate climate than I'm used to and don't get much wear out of them here [my feet get so hot in shoes that it's pretty much thin cotton unless it's really cold [i.e. quite a bit below freezing.]

What are your favorite yarns?
I really like Meilenweit Mega Boots. I love Fleece Artist sock yarn. I really love Knitpicks Bare blends, particularly the superwash/nylon blend. So much sproing! I like most things Brown Sheep [Lamb's Pride, Nature Spun, Nature Spun Sport.] I love artfibers yarns.


What do you enjoy doing outside of knitting?
I like...nay...love architecture. I draw, I paint, I spin, I take pretty pictures. I am a big fan of research. I love to spend time reading buildings, determining their histories and how they've changed through time. I love gadgets and am a big techie-geek. I'm getting married on June 23rd which means I am just about crazy with all of that.

Favorite foods or candies?
Cheese. I really love cheese. I also love chocolate. Really good white chocolate or a medium dark chocolate preferred over milk, but I love peanut butter cups too. Potatoes. Garlic. That probably doesn't help anyone with anything though, although I have had chocolate covered potato chips [my verdict--I'd rather have a Kit-Kat.]

Art or Music you enjoy?
Well, I'm a big architecture nerd, especially architects like Walter Gropius, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Greene and Greene, and Bernard Maybeck. I tend to favor old buildings compared to new, and love folks' work like the Eames and Arne Jacobsen and Alvar Aalto. I dislike Frank Lloyd Wright in general. I love advertising--especially from the Art Deco era. I love the Impressionists with an equal passion to my love of Dali and Mondrian.

As for music...Hmm. Some current favorites: the soundtrack to Kinky Boots, They Might be Giants, Regina Spektor, Lazlo Bane, Colin Hay, Jonathon Coulton, Stereophonics, Angry Salad, Brooks West. It's an eclectic mix encompassing folk-rock, indie, pop and oldies as well as some serious nerd-music love in there.

What inspires you?
The world around me. There's something amazing to me in the way the world is. Dead leaves on the sidewalk inspire me as much as a very carefully designed gutter downspout or an amazingly intricate terra cotta panel on a building.

Anything else you want to share?
There is a ton of info about me at my blog, or through my flickr account. I post more regularly to flickr lately than I do my blog because it is shorter, quicker, and most often--easier for me to sit and do.

No comments: